Berlin is a great place to learn German! This city is often called European Youth Capital, and if you join our active BERLIN–Berlin College Program, you’ll see why it is also called Europe’s capital of cool. We promise: you’ll learn a lot! You’ll have fun!! And you’ll get a taste of Berlin, the capital of cool 🙂
The Verbalists Language Network brings you Berlin College Program in partnership with GLS, the leading German language school, which was awarded by Study Travel Magazine five times the “best German language school in Germany” award. The program is designed for 16-18 old students who want to combine German courses with lots of fun activities in Berlin.
COVID-19 AND NO RISK ENROLLMENT: We are on for this summer! Nevertheless, we know that some students might be nervous about booking & traveling in the near future due to the Covid-19 situation, so we have agreed with all the partner schools, including GLS, the special enrollment terms for our students. Our NO RISK ENROLLMENT allows students to cancel or postpone their booking without incurring any tuition or accommodation cancellation fees as long as the enrollment is completed during the period 16th March-30th June 2020. In addition, the course enrollment can be made without needing to pay a deposit. We just need all payment to be received 7 days prior to the student’s arrival date. Learning will be safe – GLS school strictly observes public health rules as defined by the German government.
GLS (German Language School)
When we first visited our long-term partner in 2006 we were impressed with its facilities in the historic center of Berlin. GLS has a 16,000 square meter park-like campus located on Kastanienallee Street, in the trendy area of Prenzlauer Berg. This street is nicknamed casting ally, because there are so many films and fashion shootings there. Media have described it as “Berlin’s coolest boulevard.” More than 40 bars, cafes and fashion stores featuring Berlin designers, are only some of the attractions that can be found next to the school building.
GLS is more like a mini-university campus than language school. The fantastic campus is comprised of 60 classrooms, two student residences with 50 apartments, a luxury hotel, beautiful park-like garden, lounge, restaurant, and cafe. Address: Kastanienallee 82, 10435 Berlin – to see it on Google, please click here.
GLS is a test-center for TestDaF and telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule, the language certificates for university studies in Germany. GLS is an IH-certified Teacher Training Center and prepares for the IH Certificate for Teaching German as a Foreign Language. The school is also accredited by EAQUALS, which conducts rigorous inspections of its members every 4 years.
Age: 16-18 year olds
active BERLIN-Berlin College Program is a combination of German courses and action-packed activities and excursions. Every year the program is attended by 200 students from up to 60 countries, making it ideal for fast German learning in a multicultural environment.
All GLS teachers are German native speakers with university degrees in German language or literature. They are both teacher and coach for you – please let them know whenever you need additional feed-back or advice.
German is the only language spoken in class, and the method used is the communicative approach. This means that you will get all the corrections, grammar and vocabulary you need, but the priority is on active speaking.
Prior to starting a course, you will take a placement test, so that GLS teachers can assess your level of German and place you in an appropriate group.
Every day you will experience a different part of Berlin – you´ll get to see all the highlights, like Museumsinsel or the Berlin Wall. The German courses start in the afternoon, while Berlin sightseeing and activities take place before and after the course.
- 20 lessons/week each 45 minutes long, with a max of 12 students per class – lessons in the afternoon 3:30 pm – 7 pm
- All levels A1 to C2 (except complete beginners)
- International classes with students from the USA, Mexico, Brazil, Poland, Spain, France, Bulgaria, Serbia, Ukraine, Denmark, Russia, Norway, England, France, Italy, Greece, Portugal, and many other countries.
Activities & Excursions:
- 2 activities daily: sightseeing in Berlin, sports, socializing (one activity in the morning, one after class, in the evening)
- 1 full-day excursion per week to places outside Berlin, i.e., Potsdam, Dresden, Lake Zeuthen
This is what a week at the Berlin Summer College may look like:
|SUN||arrival until 5 pm, introduction and language test, welcome evening|
|MON||– Walking tour in Berlin
– Topographie des Terrors
|4 German lessons||– Open air cinema
– Billiard (Kulturbrauerei)
|TUE||– Literatur-Café (from level B1
– Climbing on Mount Mitte
|4 German lessons||– East Side Gallery
– Government district
|WED||– Swimming in Lake Wannsee
– Boat trip on River Spree
|4 German lessons||– Beach volleyball
– Photography workshop
|THU||– Museum island
– Street art workshop
|4 German lessons||– Debating club
– Beach bar in Berlin Mitte
|FRI||– Cycling tour: Berlin Wall Way
– Museum for Technology
|4 German lessons||– Night out in Kreuzberg
– Games evening
|SAT||Full-day excursion to Potsdam, Castle Sanssoucil||– Pub tour
– Salsa on River Spree
|SUN||departure or visit at flea-market on “Strasse des 17. Juni”||Free evening|
Student residence, which is either on campus or within a short walking distance (about 10 min) to the GLS campus. Students are accommodated in 2-5 bedded rooms with private bathroom. Please see below for a more detailed description of the accommodation options.
The program is delivered on a half board basis, with breakfast and dinner included (the restaurant is on the campus).
Dates and prices
28 JUN – 16 AUG 2020
Arrival / departure: SUN
|1 week||2 weeks||3 weeks||additional week|
|Accommodation A + B||€ 970||€ 1,680||€ 2,490||€ 810|
|Accommodation C||€ 880||€ 1,520||€ 2,250||€ 730|
Accommodation A, B, C:
- A = on campus, room with 3-5 beds, own bathroom, TV
- B = hostel in walking distance, room with 2 beds, own bathroom, TV (Hotel4Youth – distance on a Google map)
- C = hostel in walking distance, room with 3-5 beds, own bathroom, TV (Meininger – distance on a map)
- transfer from Berlin airports and stations on Sundays 8 am – 10 pm
- 20 German lessons/week, from 3:30 – 7 pm
- max. 12 per class, levels elementary, intermediate, advanced
- 2 activities/day in Berlin, entrance fees included
- 1 excursion/week to places outside Berlin, i.e. Potsdam
- accommodation incl. half board (breakfast and dinner)
- insurance (medical, liability, luggage)
- public transportation 2 to 4 weeks: ca. EUR 60/80
- extra day: EUR 100 EUR
- extra transfer out of schedule: EUR 80 one way
Please note that filling out the PRODIREKT Application Form and Terms & Conditions does not secure a place on the program, nor does it mean you are under obligation that your child attends the course you are inquiring about. It is simply the first step in the application process, so that we can give you precise program details and check program/accommodation availability. A contract is signed directly with the school, and a place is confirmed after a deposit or the whole course fee is settled. Please fill out and sign:
- Application Form (download here) and
- Terms and Conditions (download here), and send back to email@example.com
The Verbalists Language Network is part of the PRODIREKT Education Group, which is a certified representative and partner of prestigious schools and colleges in world renowned university centers. When you enroll for foreign language study abroad with the Verbalists you are not only getting the expert advice, guidance and dependability of an accredited organization and a world-leading language network, but you also enjoy special privileges, such as:
- scholarships offered only to PRODIREKT/Verbalists students and our International Ambassadors;
- special discounts – you often pay less than what a school charges for the same program;
- enrollment advantages – faster processing, lower or no deposits, no charge when you change your booking;
- priority in reserving your residential or homestay accommodation;
- less strict cancellation policy;
- free visa application assistance;
- travel and airport transfer arrangements;
- in case of some young learner programs, guidance and care of our staff and group leaders during the duration of a program.
PRODIREKT and its Verbalists Language Network are accredited by the leading language travel and higher education associations – English UK, Alphe UK, FEDELE Spain, FELTOM Malta, ICEF Germany, and many more. You will find more information about our international accreditation here.
We at the Verbalists Language Network have more than 30 years of experience in the organization of language learning and studying abroad. Take advantage of our commitment, experience and competence by enrolling in the active BERLIN-Berlin College with us.